Customer who views this item also viewed
Zoom Q8 Handy Video Recorder
The world's first camera with interchangeable microphones
You've never seen—or heard—anything like it.
The Q8 Handy Video Recorder is our most evolved video recorder yet. It's a high-definition video camera with a wide-angle lens, easy to use full-color touchscreen, and flexible mounting options. It's a portable audio recorder with an interchangeable capsule system, dual combo inputs, and the ability to capture up to four tracks of great-sounding audio. It's everything you need to create.
Complete Compatibility for Total Versatility
The Q8 comes with a detachable X/Y microphone and is compatible with all Zoom input capsules. If you already own an H5 or H6, you can use their capsules with the Q8 too.
SSH-6 Stereo Shotgun Capsule
The SSH-6 mid-side stereo shotgun capsule includes a super-directional microphone for capturing sound in the center, as well as a bidirectional side mic for capturing sounds from the left and right. Together with the Q8’s onboard MS decoder, this allows you to capture a stereo image that can be adjusted—ideal for film, video, and television projects. For example, you can capture dialogue or narration with the center mic, and then mix in the desired amount of environmental sound captured by the side mic.
MSH-6 MS Capsule
Mid-Side recording allows you to precisely shape your sound. The MSH-6 MS Capsule contains dual mic elements: a forward-facing, unidirectional mic (the “Mid”) and a side-facing, bi-directional mic (the “Side”). In conjunction with the Q8's onboard MS decoder, they capture a fully mono-compatible stereo image that can be adjusted, making the MSH-6 ideal for film, video, and television projects.
XYH-6 Large Diaphragm X/Y Capsule
The XYH-6 capsule allows you to craft realistic stereo recordings in every kind of environment. It adds dual large diaphragm mic elements with adjustable width—choose 90 degrees for a more focused sound or 120 degrees for a wider stereo image. It's a great choice for live recording and for capturing sound effects in the field.
SGH-6 Shotgun Capsule
The SGH-6 Shotgun Capsule adds a professional-quality, highly directional microphone to the Q8, creating the perfect setup for broadcast and ENG (electronic newsgathering) applications. Three elements combined with digital signal processing inside the SGH-6 give you the highly directional pickup power of a conventional shotgun mic in a unit only half the size—optimum for recording dialogue and narration with no intrusive mic in the scene.
XYH-5 Shockmounted X/Y Capsule
The two matched unidirectional condenser microphones in the XYH-5 capsule are housed within an advanced shockmount to minimize vibration and handling noise. The design of the XYH-5 also allows it to handle extremely loud sounds, making it perfect for use at live rock concerts and for electronic newsgathering.
XYQ-8 Wide-Angle X/Y Capsule
X/Y stereo recording allows you to cover a wide area yet still maintain a strong center image. The XYQ-8 capsule is specially designed for use with the Q8. It features two matched unidirectional condenser microphones set at 120 degrees relative to one another for immersive stereo that matches the wide-angle image delivered by the Q8 lens.
Easy to use and full-featured
The Q8 offers a large full-color LCD touchscreen for ease of use, coupled with a wealth of advanced features like dual combo XLR/TRS inputs for the connection of external microphones and line-level sources; a built-in speaker and stereo Headphone/Line Out jack for audio monitoring; and a HDMI output for video monitoring. Its high-quality wide-angle lens and flexible mounting options means that you can shoot high-def video everywhere you go. Plus there's a USB output that allows the Q8 to be connected with your computer or iPad (Apple Camera Connection Kit required) so you can use it with your favorite streaming or editing software.
Whatever your genre, wherever your muse leads you
Whether you're a musician, an indie filmmaker, a podcaster, a blogger, a teacher, a YouTube hero, or a video pro, you'll find the Q8 to be the perfect creative companion.
Not Just Evolutionary But Revolutionary
The Q8 offers a slew of innovative features that make it one of the most versatile cameras ever.
Full range, crystal clarity
The Q8 delivers that same great Zoom sound quality you'll find in all our products. Its detachable X/Y microphone provides a standard stereo pickup, or you can connect different Zoom input capsules always have the best mic for the job. A low-cut filter and foam windscreen allow you to eliminate low-frequency noise and rumble. You can even use the Q8 as an audio-only recorder, all the way up to high-resolution 24-bit/96kHz.
Go beyond High Definition
The Q8 goes beyond standard HD, offering a recording mode with video formats up to 2304 x 1296 pixels (3M HD / app. 2.3k) and frame rates of up to 60fps at 720p for fast movement. Its F2.0 aperture / 160 ̊ wide-angle lens ensures that you'll capture every moment with full realism and sharp definition. Three “Scene” presets allow you to use the Q8 in a variety of different lighting conditions. And support for both standard and HD video file formats assures that you'll have plenty of options when it comes to storage and streaming.
Change your point of view
Need a different POV? The Q8's got you covered. Not only can it be attached to any standard tripod, it comes with a tripod-to-three-prong converter so you can use it with every kind of action camera mount too. Set up shots with multiple Q8s for different angles—the full-color touchscreen LCD is fully rotatable so you can always view your image regardless of camera positioning.
USB, Battery life, and File Types
A built-in USB port enables live streaming and allows the Q8 to be used as a webcam or USB microphone. It also allows connection with other equipment and computer software—even an iPad (Apple Camera Connection Kit required)—for post-production capability.
The supplied lithium-ion battery that powers the Q8 can be easily recharged in the studio or in the field, using either an optional AC adapter or via USB. Battery life is more than two hours when shooting at 720p/30fps. In audio recording-only mode, battery life is extended further still.
The Q8 records directly to SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards, up to 128GB. Video is stored in MOV file format, with various HD settings for maximum video quality, or you can shoot in standard definition when space or streaming bandwidth is at a premium. The Q8 can integrate recorded audio directly into the MOV file, or audio can be saved separately from the video data in WAV format.
We Are All Creators
Whatever you're into—music, video, podcasting, blogging, or teaching—the Q8 can help you achieve your creative goals. Here are just a few suggestions for ways it can be used.
Capture the total experience
Great performances can be elusive... but with the Q8, they can live forever. Capture the total experience—not just the sights, but the sounds too. Shoot video from the audience and use the supplied wide-angle X/Y mic to capture immersive sound. Take your Q8 onstage to provide the musician's perspective. Or use it at the mixing position and combine sharp high-def video and stereo room sound with the pristine audio signal coming straight from the board.
The Indie Filmmaker
The compact size of the Q8 and its compatibility with both tripod mounts and all three-prong action camera mounts means you can shoot footage anywhere, from perspectives other cameras simply cannot capture. Take it to remote locations. Indoors or outdoors, wherever you go, you can count on your Q8 to deliver crisp video with superior audio.
Get creative and go viral! By marrying high-definition video with high-resolution 24-bit/96k audio, the Q8 allows to take your YouTube creations to a new level. Use your Q8 to educate and entertain, to create your own reality show, or to build a podcast network with outstanding quality.
Make a statement
Don't let anything get in the way of the story. The Q8 is perfect for electronic newsgathering, for conducting interviews, and for creating video blogs and podcasts. Capture video and audio to SD card for later editing with your favorite software, or stream it live; you can even use the Q8 as a web camera or USB microphone.
Spread the word
With its high-quality sound and crisp, sharp video, the Q8 is the perfect teaching tool, ideal for creating detailed video lessons and demonstrating fingerings, bowings, and other playing skills. Use it to capture student rehearsals so they can review and perfect both form and technique, documenting and enabling their musical growth.
Features that matter
With its wide-angle lens and sensing options that automatically adapt to various lighting situations, the Q8 is the ideal tool for creating professional-quality videos with pristine audio. Transfer the data you capture to your favorite editing software via USB and turn your raw footage into a tour de force. Its compact size makes the Q8 the perfect "spot to content" B-roll camera too, allowing you to go where your big rig can't go and capture video from unusual angles. You can even use the Q8 as a standalone audio field recorder.
– Records directly to SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards, up to 128GB
– High-quality 160° wide angle lens with selectable viewing angles (F 2.0/16.6mm)
– Uses a system of interchangeable audio input capsules that can be swapped out as easily as the lens of a camera
– Supplied detachable stereo X/Y microphone (XYQ-8)
– Compatible with all Zoom microphone capsules (sold separately)
– Full-color rotating LCD touchscreen
– Support for five HD video modes, up to 2304 x 1296 pixels (3M HD), as well as two WVGA modes
– Frame rates of up to 60 fps for capturing fast action video and slow motion playback
– Three imaging sense options (AUTO/CONCERT/NIGHT) for use in all lighting environments
– Self timer
– Digital zoom
– Records video in MOV format (with or without audio)
– Records audio in AAC and WAV formats, up to 24-bit/96k
– Up to four tracks of simultaneous audio recording
– Two mic/line inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors, each with selectable phantom power and -20dB pad
– Analog-style gain controls for each input
– Built-in audio mixer
– Stereo link function
– Auto-Gain control plus built-in compressor and limiter
– MS Matrix function converts Mid-Side signal from external mics to standard stereo
– Supplied foam windscreen and low-cut filter for the elimination of low-frequency noise and rumble
– Dedicated Headphone output / Line out
– Built-in speaker for fast monitoring
– HDMI video output for connection to HDTVs, selectable between NTSC and PAL
– USB interface for live streaming and data transfer to and from computer editing software
– Webcam and USB mic function for use with external devices such as computers and iPads (Apple Camera Connection Kit required)
– Direct monitoring for zero latency during use as a USB mic
– Compatible with USTREAM Producer, Flash live Media Encorder, Skype, and other popular streaming applications
– SD card reader function
– Rechargeable Li-Ion battery (chargeable via USB or optional AC adapter)
– Battery life of more than 2 hours
– Standard tripod mount
– Includes tripod-to-three-prong converter for compatibility with all action camera mounts
– Zoom Q8 Handy Video Recorder
– Detachable stereo X/Y microphone capsule (XYQ-8)
– Foam windscreen
– Rechargeable Li-ion battery(BT-03)
– USB cable (1m)
– Tripod to three-prong action camera mount adapter
– Lens cover
– Lens hood
– Operation manual
- Recording media
- SD/SDHC/SDXC cards (up to 128GB)
- Image sensor
- 1/3-inch 3-megapixel CMOS sensor
- Fixed focus (36cm - ∞) F2.0, focal distance approx. 16.6 mm (35mm equivalent)
- Video format
- MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (MOV)
- Video resolutions
- 3M HD (2304 × 1296 pixels) 30fps; HD (1080 pixels) 30fps; HD (720 pixels) 60fps; HD (720 pixels) 30fps; WVGA 60fps; WVGA 30fps
- Audio formats
- WAV (16/24-bit quantization, 44.1/48/96kHz sampling frequency)
AAC (64-320kbps bit rate, 48kHz sampling
- Audio functions
- Low-cut filter, Auto Gain (Concert/Solo/Meeting), compressor, limiter
- Image functions
- Digital zoom (1.0x-4.0x); Scene selection (Auto/Concert Lighting/Night); Self timer (Off, 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds)
- 2.7" full-color LCD touchscreen
- Built-in speaker
- 400mW 8 Ω mono speaker
- L/R inputs
- X/Y mic (XYQ-8): 120° X/Y stereo format
- Maximum sound pressure input
- 140 dB SPL
- Input gain
- ∞ to +52 dB
- Equivalent input noise
- − 120 dBu or less
- INPUT 1/2 Input connectors
- TRS/XLR combo jacks
- Input gain (PAD OFF)
- −∞ to 55 dB
- Input gain (PAD ON)
- −∞ to 35 dB
- Input impedance
- 1.8 k Ω or more
- Maximum input level
- +22 dBu (PAD ON)
- Phantom power
- +12/+24/+48V (Global for INPUT 1 and 2)
- Equivalent input noise
- − 120 dBu or less
- Output connectors
- Combined line/headphones stereo mini-jack Type D micro HDMI
- Connector: USB Mini B type
Operation as mass storage: Class: USB 2.0 High Speed
Operation as audio interface: Class: USB 1.0 Full Speed
Operation as webcam: WVGA/720p video size, 48kHz 16-bit audio
Note: Operation as audio interface and mass storage supported with iPad (Apple Camera Connection Kit required). USB bus power supported
- Power supply
- Lithium ion battery, DC 4.2V maximum voltage, DC 3.7V nominal voltage, 1700mAh capacity
- Battery recharging times
- USB: 4 hours, 30 minutes (approximate)
AC adapter: 2 hours, 45 minutes (approximate)
- Battery operation time
- More than 2 hours (when recording 720p/30fps)
- AC adapter
- ZOOM AD-17, sold separately (DC 5V/1A)
- Mic lowered: 158mm (L) × 48mm (W) × 69mm (H)
Mic raised: 158mm (L) × 48mm (W) × 119mm (H)
X/Y mic (XYQ-8): 50mm (L) × 37mm (W) × 32mm (H)
- Recorder: 260g (without battery, capsule)
XYQ-8 Mic Capsule: 40g
Battery: 40g / 1.4oz